Candida albicans is a natural fungus in your vagina. When it grows overly, it causes vaginal yeast infection or vaginal candidiasis. This overgrowth causes itching, irritation, painful discharge, and inflammation. It affects most women at some point.
If you have vaginal discharge for the first time, you must see a gynecologist to ensure that it’s not something else. Also ask your doctor if you have constant infections to treat and prevent the safest way and refer to a pregnancy calendar to know more about symptoms.
Here are some of the home remedies to help you treat yeast infection –
- Greek Yogurt – Probiotics contain live bacteria “Lactobacillus acidophilus” to treat overgrowth in your vagina. It cuts down the yeast and improves gut microbiome levels. Don’t consume Greek yogurt with added sugar.
- Boric Acid – This powerful antiseptic is helpful to treat yeast infections that can resist other remedies. You can use topical boric acid with medications but don’t overuse them. Also avoid this remedy in pregnancy. Stop using if it causes discomfort on your sensitive skin.
- Coconut Oil – This fatty oil is extracted from coconut flesh, and it has antifungal properties and several health benefits. Choose only organic and virgin coconut oil to treat vaginal yeast infection.
- Tea tree oil – This essential oil is effective against bacteria, viruses, and fungus. It also contains antifungal properties to break the biofilm and is effective as an antimicrobial.
- Vitamin C – It helps boost your immunity and balance in your body. It also has antimicrobial properties to cure Candida overgrowth. It helps your body to prevent yeast infection. Avoid applying it to sensitive tissue.
- Apple Cider vinegar – It is another popular remedy to relieve yeast infection. It has a lot of medicinal properties. Pour a half-cup of this fluid into a bathtub filled with lukewarm water and soak yourself for at least 20 minutes. Its acidic component can help avoid yeast and other toxic microorganisms.
You can get relief in a few days with many home remedies given above. Sometimes, you may continue the same for a week or so. If your symptoms get worse or you develop new symptoms, ask your doctor.