Tracking your cycle is important, especially when you are trying to get pregnant. It helps you to keep track of some of your most fertile days when conceiving will be a breeze. Most people have this misconception that they can’t get pregnant while on their periods. Even though the chances of getting pregnant during that time are low, it is not zero.
Knowing more about having sex during the period is important. Chances are high that you might get pregnant even when you are trying not to.
Ways in which conception occurs:
Conception takes place when a sperm meets with an egg and start fertilizing. When the ovary releases an egg, it will live for between 12 to 24 hours. However, the sperm can reside for around 3 days.
- Typically, a menstrual cycle lasts for 28 days. Ovulation mainly starts on day 14th but can be anywhere between day 12 to 14.
- Ovulation is the process when the ovary releases an egg designed for fertilization. If sperm is located in the uterus, then pregnancy is a possibility.
- Ovulation timeframe can vary from one person to another, based on their cycle. Some people have longer cycles of 35 days and ovulation mainly happens around Day 21. People will a shorter cycle of 21 days have their ovulation around Day 7.
How to get pregnant while on your period:
People mistook vaginal bleeding as the beginning of the period. Chances are high that you will bleed during ovulation when you are at your most fertile stage. Having sex during this time without protection can increase your chances of becoming pregnant drastically.
- On an average scale, the ovulation cycle can be anywhere between 28 to 30 days. So, if you have sex during that time frame, you will not ovulate for several days after.
- But, if you are one of those with shorter cycles, you won’t have the same time between having periods and ovulation.
- Another major point to consider is that sperm can live around 72 hours after ejaculation. So, during the end of your period, your chances of becoming a mother doubles up.
To learn more about your ovulation patterns, you have to track the days in between periods. It means noticing the date when your period starts and then you will have your next cycle. It takes months to craft a rough pattern of your period cycle and then focus on the ovulation period.
Chances of becoming pregnant during the period:
The chances of getting a period during the ovulation cycle can rise and fall. While the average cycle is of 29 days, others can have a cycle that might vary from 20 days to 40 days, if not longer. The chance of becoming pregnant 1 to 2 days after your period starts is zero. But, this likelihood again increases with successive days, even when you are menstruating.
The chances are indeed pretty low still you cannot be 100% sure that you won’t get pregnant while on your period. During the 13th day after starting your period, your chances of becoming pregnant are around 9%.
In case you are trying to conceive, having sex on your period will not help you with the process unless the menstrual cycle is less than 28 days. But, there remains a possibility. In case you are not trying to get pregnant, it is vital to use contraception every time during intercourse.
Help from Mannat Fertility:
The team from Mannat Fertility is always welcome and can help you with the best news in the world. If you fail to conceive naturally, our team will use the most promising IVF treatment to offer you the result you want. We offer transparent treatment all across Bangalore and have been doing so for years. We are currently one of the most trusted IVF clinics in here alongside free IVF consultation. So, if you have a dream of becoming a mother, we can make that happen!
To learn more about our clinics and IVF process, make sure to ring us up at +91 87629 25555. We are available from Monday to Saturday to answer all your calls.